Tuesday, February 6, 2018

by Sean Ensch



White sandy beaches, breathtaking locations, sun-infused moments and splashing waves. The sparkling images of Californian based photographer Sean Ensch spread pure summer dreams, glowing naturalness, seaside vibes and lots of tropical feelings.


What inspires you in photography?
I feel like that is such a hard question. Mostly just the drive to create. I have always been like that, even as a kid I used to draw all the time. I try my best not to pull off other people’s work as much as possible, but it’s pretty hard these days with the massive amount of images put online in our faces. I always loved cinematic feelings to photos, which is why I often go for mostly candid looks to my photos, less posed. I think movies I’ve watched inspire me a lot. Really visual movies always motivate me to make better images and give me ideas from time to time. I have even drawn off old experiences.
And how did you get involved in photography?
I started photography back in high school. Back then (98-02) my photography classes were all black and white film. We had to roll and develop our own film and prints in the darkroom. It was so great. I got really good at rolling the film in the dark, it kind of became a fun game I played. I love shooting film and still do as much as jobs allow. I also assisted a photographer for a little while at that time. I suppose that’s where the foundation really got put in.
Who is Sean Ensch besides a photographer? What are you like?
I don’t think I have the traditional “photographer” personality. I am a pretty mellow person, I love small town life. I’ll take a night in with good friends/family over going out to a crowded place every time. I grew up at the beach and in the water so I love anything to do with the ocean, wildlife, and the outdoors. I love traveling and going to remote places to explore.

“It seems like a lot of young photographers don’t even want to learn how to do anything and don’t even know about basic exposure, what the histogram is, or how to edit photos without presets. It’s kind of sad to me.”

Looking at your work we see a lot of tropical settings: the sun, the ocean and the beautiful models. Is the life of a fashion/beauty photographer always that glamorous?
Defintely not. I mean, this job is amazing. You get to go to beautiful locations and all that, but realistically I spend the majority of my time on a computer. It seems like people assume I run around on the beach and tropical islands constantly, but I basically spend every day selecting photos, editing, retouching, emails, etc. But I have zero complaints about what I do. I don’t make loads of money, but I am my own boss, I pick my hours, not much stress, and I can travel often. It’s a good life.
What is the best photo you’ve taken using your phone?
Using my phone? I have no idea. I rarely use my phone’s camera except for random pictures if I couldn’t have my camera along for some reason.

“I always loved cinematic feelings to photos, which is why I often go for mostly candid looks to my photos, less posed. I think movies I’ve watched inspire me a lot.”

A person (famous or not) you would love to do a photoshoot with?
Everyone probably assumes I would say some famous model/celebrity like Kim Kardasian or something, but really I would love to do some weird shoot with Leonardo Dicaprio. I know that sounds pretty random, but I have such a massive amount of respect for that guy. Other than models I shoot a lot of landscape work and I’m a big nature junkie, so what Leo does with his fame I think is really admirable- it’d be so cool to meet him and shoot some photos.
Do you take your camera everywhere you go?
I used to be like that, but now I just take it if I am going somewhere interesting or I think I would want to capture something. I don’t take it to the grocery store. That’d be a little much. Haha

“There’s something special about walking across empty sand dunes with no one around, it’s so completely silent. It’s definitely relaxing to me.”

What tips would you give to a new photographer?
Learn. Practice. Grow. This is an interesting topic I have discussed a lot with others. Now I’m not old or anything, I will be 34 this summer, but I have spoken to many younger people about photography and many just seem like they don’t even want to learn how to do anything. They’re just all about shortcuts. They don’t learn how to use their cameras much, process photos, or anything remotely related to the art of it. Now you can shoot with digital cameras that have amazing senors, auto metering, focus peaking, use presets in software, so it seems like a lot of young photographers don’t even know about basic exposure, what the histogram is, or how to edit photos without presets. It’s kind of sad to me.
What is a relaxing place to visit in California?
The central coast is really nice. There’s a lot less people and development. In Southern California along the coast, there are just way too many people everywhere. Which is probably why I love the deserts, they’re much more barren and open. There’s something special about walking across empty sand dunes with no one around, it’s so completely silent. It’s definitely relaxing to me.



No comments:

Post a Comment

(THE END/NEW START) Inside the Finkle Writer's Room

Warning: PIRATE RADIO is on the air* I think it's all going to work out for those two. They've been in there for 3 months. &...