Wednesday, October 3, 2018

by Ray Litsala

KIKA´s smile easily lights up all the room. Modelling to her is not just to look pretty for your social media feed. For her it´s about spreading self acceptance. Over the course of four days photographer Ray Litsala captured Kika on 35mm film in Annecy and Paris.

 
What inspired you to be in front of the camera ?
As far back as I can remember, I’ve had a habit of scrutinizing the way models strike the pose to give emotion to their character. It’s fascinating! To me, posing is not about being pretty to feed your social media. Posing is about expressing yourself without words. But the real reason that pushes me to be in front of the camera is the will to spread self acceptance. Thanks to the Internet, I discovered a huge diversity of beauty through every skin tone and every shape. I get inspired and I wanna inspire at my turn. It took me some times but now I love my Afro hair and my skinny body no matter what standards can say about it. I got spotted because I embrace what makes me different and I’m very proud of it.

“It took me some times but now I love my Afro hair and my skinny body no matter what standards can say about it. I got spotted because I embrace what makes me different and I’m very proud of it.”


What was your upbringing like ?

My mother had to run away with her 3 children from domestic violence. When you’re a single mother, you can’t fail. If you’re falling, the whole family falls with you. So my education was very strict on the basic principles such as being humble, respectful and working hard to be independent. Besides that, we were totally free to be who we wanna be. She would never interfere in our choices as long as it made us happy. Basically my mom is a mix between Bree Van de Kamp and Iggy Pop. Your room must be clean but your spirit must be rock’n roll. I feel so lucky to have such an open-minded feminist and veggie family.
Happy birthday from us, how was your birthday celebration ?

Thank you, that’s adorable! Well, it was quiet. I had a whole week-end of shooting with Ray, so it wasn’t a good time to have a hungover haha. We went to a small underground club that I love. They were playing House music on that night so we danced a bit and drank a beer.

“I just hope our virtual image won’t take over the real life. A random « Like » sent behind a screen could never compete with real human interaction.”


What are your 3 favorite places in Paris?
N° 3 : Montmatre. I know it sounds very cliche. I’m obssessed with « Le fabuleux Destin d’Amélie Poulain » since I’m 6, so that makes sense. laughs. More seriously, I could never get tired of all theses streets art. They’re so many charming things to discover over there if you take the time to loose yourself.
N°2 : Po Boy Café, my favorite place to brunch ! It’s a chill and cozy place where you’ll eat hand made delicious meals from Louisianna! On a sunny day I enjoy sitting at their terrace in front of Canal Saint-Martin. Moreover the team is friendly and the prices are totally affordable.
N°1 : Definitly the thrift shops! I could spend hours searching for a vintage crush.
How much time do you spend on Instagram and what could be the future of social media ?

Too much time! This is my favorite social media… anytime I have free time, I’m looking for inspiring accounts to follow. In our days most of people are their own brand and act in consequences. They need more and more visibility to show how their life is better than the other’s. Social media´s perfectly understand that and I wouldn’t be surprised to see one day influencers doing sponsored adds with virtual reality. I just hope our virtual image won’t take over the real life. A random « Like » sent behind a screen could never compete with real human interaction.

“The last book I read was «Life is so good » by George Dawson. It’s the autobiography of an Afro-American man who lived in Texas for 102 years and learn how to read at the age of 98.”


What do you love most about your life and why?

My 2 cats and my skateboard for sure. laughs. At this moment, I would say my freedom. Due to my difficult past, I’m happy and grateful for every simple pleasure other people might probably never notice.
What was the last book you read?
I love reading. If my law studies allowed me to have more free time, I would be a real book addict. The last book I read was «Life is so good » by George Dawson. It’s the autobiography of an Afro-American man who lived in Texas for 102 years and learn how to read at the age of 98. On a historical point of view, his testimony is very enriching. But what strikes me over all is the author’s personality. His humility and his unbreakable optimism are a wonderful message of wisdom.

Model: @ kika_littlehake
Photography @ray.litsala

No comments:

Post a Comment

(THE END/NEW START) Inside the Finkle Writer's Room

Warning: PIRATE RADIO is on the air* I think it's all going to work out for those two. They've been in there for 3 months. &...